As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, Check our Affiliate Disclaimer page.
You may be in the middle of baking a cake and the power goes out. What a waste, isn’t it? Worse, your house could be out of power because of a natural disaster for days. While you can live through it using candles and more, what about the food you kept stored in the refrigerator?
It’s not old age and we do not only need the backup power supply for entertainment purposes, but we also need it to live in a better way. When you are used to living a certain way, irregularities can cause a lot of loss and panic. The best way to deal with irregularities? It is to take preventive measures.
A whole house generator is what you need in this case. Well, it may be another kind of generator that you need but we are focusing on the best whole house generator reviews here.
So, if you are looking for the best whole house generators, hope on this ride where we will make the concept of it clear, give you things to consider when buying one, and introduce you to some of the best out there.
Table of Contents
- 1 After Our 20+ Hours of Research, We Have Come to The Conclusion (The Winner)
- 2 Top 10 Best Whole House Generator Reviews
- 2.1 1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF- Best Dual Fuel Whole House Generator on the Market
- 2.2 2. DuroMax XP12000EH -Electric Start Best Portable Generator for Home
- 2.3 3. Generac 7043- Best Standby Generator for Home Use
- 2.4 4. WEN GN9500- Best Generator for Emergency Preparedness
- 2.5 5. A-iPower SUA12000E -Best 12000 Watt Portable Generator For Home
- 2.6 6. Kohler 20RESCL- Best Standby Generator With Automatic Transfer Switch
- 2.7 7. All Power America- 12000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 2.8 8. DuroMax XP13000EH- Best Portable Hybrid Gas Propane Generator
- 2.9 9. Honda EU2200i– Best Quiet Portable Whole House Generator
- 2.10 10. WEN 56200i- Best 2000 Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying Home Generators
- 4 Differences between Portable and Standby Generators
- 5 Which One Best? – Portable or Home Standby Generators!
- 6 Which Portable Generator are the Best Whole House Generators?
- 7 Which Size of Generator is the Best for Whole Home?
- 8 How to Calculate What Size of Generator You Need?
- 9 How much should you Spend on a Home Generator?
- 10 How to Install a Whole-House Generator?
- 11 Understanding- Whole House Generator Fuel Types
- 12 Generator Installation and Safety Tips
- 13 In conclusion
After Our 20+ Hours of Research, We Have Come to The Conclusion (The Winner)
Best Choice For Home Generator
- 22,000kW (LP) / 19,500kW (NG) Wattage.
- Runs on LPG or natural gas.
- 67 dbA noise level.
- Mobile link remote monitoring.
- 5 year limited warranty.
Top 10 Best Whole House Generator Reviews
Making an easy and comfortable life, maybe you need a whole house generator to power your house and decorative it? Here, you’re going to know what you actually need to give a chance to live an easy life.
- Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- DuroMax XP12000EH Portable Generator-12000 Watt Gas or Propane
- Generac 7043 Guardian Series 22kW/19.5kW
- WEN GN9500 420cc Transfer Switch and RV Ready
- A-iPower 12,000-Watt Gasoline Powered
- Kohler Air-Cooled Standby Generator with 100 Amp Transfer Switch
- All Power America 12000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable
- DuroMax XP13000EH Generator 13000-Watt 20 HP
- Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt
- WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter
1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF- Best Dual Fuel Whole House Generator on the Market
Looking for a portable whole house generator that will offer you a number of flexibilities? Then, Westinghouse WGen9500DF may be the one you are looking for. Let us let the features speak for themselves.
The Source of Power: This Westinghouse lets you choose two types of energy sources. You can use both gasoline or propane. Furthermore, you can shift between the two sources when it is active. So, it’s not just flexible but easy to use as well.
The Engine: A Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine powers this. It has a build of cast iron which makes it robust and last. Furthermore, it automatically shuts down when the fuel level is low. So, you will find it safe to use as well. It also has a digital hour meter.
Power Output: On Gasoline, this WGen9500DF generates 12,500 peak watts and 9500 running watts. And, on propane, it does slightly less with 11,200 peak watts and 8500 running watts of power. However, this should be enough for the whole house.
Transfer Switch: This has a twist-lock outlet that lets you easily connect it to your home. Apparently, it is 30 amperes with a 120/240-volt ac outlets requirement.
Start System: It has an electric start key fob and lets you operate it keeping a good distance between you and the generator. Therefore, it makes operation even safer.
Tank Capacity and Run Time: It has a 6.6-gallon tank of fuel liquid. It can run for 12 hours straight if needed.
Controller: You can remote start it with the key fob. Other than that, it has an electric and recoil start. It has a 12V battery backup system.
Safety: Other than having the automatic shut-off feature, this generator also is EPA and CARB compliant.
Portability: The structure and design, makes it quite portable. In fact, it has tires in it which makes it portable. However, it is heavy so without the tires, lifting it will be difficult.
Warranty: Is it backed by3-year warranty.
- Though it is portable but enough power to run the whole house electricity.
- You can use two kinds of fuel.
- If one runs out you can easily change to the other while this is still running.
- Quite safe to use.
- Easy to use because of the easy controller features.
- Easy to connect to the house.
- Good capacity with good value for the money.
- It can get a bit noisy.
- You have to check the delivery quality when you first receive it.
2. DuroMax XP12000EH -Electric Start Best Portable Generator for Home
A generator should be able to handle any kind of appliance and electronic device that you want to keep using. Even if it is as powerful as an air conditioner or a refrigerator. This DuroMax does a great job. Let’s see how it does what it does.
Fuel Type and Source: You can use both gasoline or propane in this DuroMax. So, you have the flexibility to choose the fuel that is available or more cost-effective for you.
Engine: This runs on an 18 Horse Power 457cc DuroMax OHV Engine. Apparently, the engine does a great job as it starts and runs smoothly to power your house up. Moreover, it is robust enough to last.
Power Output: DuroMax can peak at 12000 watts and it has a running output of 9500 watts. You will find the output good enough for a whole-house generator.
Transfer Switch: It uses MX2 technology which lets you get the best of the voltage capacity. Apparently, you can use the 120/240 voltage receptacle simultaneously or you can keep the 120 volts working to get the maximum output from it.
Start System: The electric start system that this DuroMax features will make starting it very easy.
Tank Capacity and Runtime: It has a fuel tank capacity of 8.3 gallons. So, you can run it for more than 12 hours continuously.
Controller: This helps you to save energy by lowering the RPM when it is not in use. Therefore, it has good control over itself and it does not make a lot of noise either.
Safety Features: It will shut off automatically when the fuel consumption level at a low stage.
Portability: It comes with its own wheels for easy portability. As long as you get the right, defectless wheels, you will enjoy the portability.
Warranty: It comes with a warranty of three years.
- It a powerful enough to run most appliances in a house.
- It is easy to set up.
- Dual fuel sources are easy to choose between and set up.
- Quite portable.
- Robust engine.
- Safe to use.
- Easy to start.
- Not noisy.
- It may not run very smoothly on propane.
- The wheels arriving with it may not be the best.
3. Generac 7043- Best Standby Generator for Home Use
Want a generator that does not really look as messy as a generator? This standby generator Generac 7043 is a Guardian home standby Generator that has an aluminum build and a neat design that may be able to adorn your house while powering it. It also has features that help you enjoy power in a smooth fashion.
The Power Source: You can connect this Generac to your natural gas source or LP and get unlimited operation from it. However, you cannot switch between two power sources easily.
THD: Ups and downs in the backup power supply can cause your electrical devices harm and you make sure that electrical appliances get a constant supply of power. How? It has a Total Harmonic Distortion of less than 5%. This keeps the power supply quite stable.
Engine: The Generac G-Force engine is responsible for running this generator. Apparently, it is a good engine that is well-lubricated to work the way it needs to work.
Power Output: It has a power output of around 22-kilowatts of power. Now, that is enough to run most appliances in your house.
Transfer Switch: The 200 Amp NEMA 3 Smart transfer switch is something you will find easy to connect to. Apparently, the design of this is such that you can easily remove three of its sides to work on it.
Start System: It can start automatically when it senses that the power is down.
Tank Capacity and Runtime: If you connect it to your natural gas pipeline, it does not have any limit. However, the battery backup system runs out after overused but you need to replace the battery quite often.
Controller: This Generac has an LCD display that gives you all the required updates about its status. Furthermore, you can connect it to the Mobile Link Remote monitoring to know its status from wherever you are.
Safety Features: It does not have many safety features.
Portability: It’s not portable. Unless you have the strength to carry it in your arms, you won’t find many other ways to carry it.
Warranty: It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It offers a good amount of power supply for the entire house.
- The engine is robust and does not require a lot of maintenance.
- It is easy to set up with its transfer switch.
- The startup is automatic too.
- It supplies continuous power.
- User-friendly features like the LCD display.
- You may have to replace the battery too often as the battery charger does not work well all the time.
4. WEN GN9500- Best Generator for Emergency Preparedness
Want a generator for Emergency Preparedness that will efficiently run your whole house when the power is out? The WEN GN9500 may be what you are looking for because it will even handle air conditioners flawlessly. The service entrance in it is responsible for its incredible performance.
The Fuel Source: This WEN GN9500 will run on both propane and ethanol. It probably will not run on natural gas. You have to select your fuel source carefully.
Engine: It runs on an EPA III and CARB compliant 420cc 4-stroke engine. You can really rely on the engine to do its job and last for a long time.
Power Output: This WEN GN9500 has a power of 9500 watts at its peak and of 7500 watts when it’s running. Yes, it is enough for your whole house.
Transfer Switch: You will find the transfer switch quite easy to deal with when you are using this one. Apparently, it has a 30 amp 120/240 NEMA outlet to accept the transfer switch.
Start System: You can start it from yards away with the remote it comes with. Therefore, you can maintain a very safe distance between you and the generator while you are at it.
Fuel Tank Capacity and Runtime: WEN GN9500 has a fuel tank with a capacity of 6 gallons and will last for around 12 hours.
Controller: The remote it comes with will help you control the generator easily. Furthermore, the control panel on it is quite easy to understand as well.
Safety Features: This engine has a spark-arrestor and a low-oil shutdown. These two features keep the engine running smoothly and also keep you safe.
Portability: This comes with a wheel and handles kit which is why you can move it around very easily.
Warranty: You will get a two-year warranty facility.
- It is energy-efficient and can power up the whole house with the energy it produces.
- Quite easy to set up with its transfer switch outlet.
- The starting mechanism is easy to deal with as well, you can stay yards away from it and use the remote.
- Quite user-friendly.
- Good capacity to hold fuel.
- The safety features make it quite safe for you.
- Good value for the price.
- Easy portability.
- You may have some trouble when using different fuel sources.
- The battery may not last very long.
5. A-iPower SUA12000E -Best 12000 Watt Portable Generator For Home
Do you want a generator that won’t require much maintenance but last a long time? Then, this A-iPower SUA12000E may be the right choice for you. Apparently, it has a build that makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
It has a Heavy-duty steel construction that keeps it very well-protected.
The Fuel Source: If you have gasoline available around you at a really affordable price then you can try this out because it runs on gasoline.
Engine: The engine is quite powerful and it stays well protected within the outer case of the generator. That’s why even if you leave it in damp condition accidentally, it won’t go astray.
Power Output: You will find the engine powerful enough to power up a picnic or at least your house. Apparently, it has a peak power output of 12000 watts and a running output of 9000 watts.
Start System: To start it, push the start button. Yes, it is as simple as that. You do not even require remote or complex wiring to do so.
Fuel Tank Capacity and Runtime: A-iPower SUA12000E has a tank capacity of 7 gallons. You can run it continuously for around nine hours.
Controller: It does not come with a remote but it is quite easy to control. In fact, the control panel on this unit is quite user-friendly.
Safety Features: It does not have a lot of safety features but it is quite safe to use.
Portability: A-iPower SUA12000E comes with good quality, large wheels to make moving it very easy. And, you will find it quite easy to move as long as the wheels are in good shape.
Extra Feature: If you are using this generator outdoors, you can directly charge your phone through it. Apparently, it has a built-in DC Adapter Plug.
- The construction of this generator makes it quite robust and long-lasting- in any weather condition.
- It has enough power systems ability for providing whole-house electricity.
- The fuel source is simple and easy to deal with.
- The installation of this unit is common.
- Quite a portable unit.
- Easy to understand and control.
- It has a unique feature- a mobile charging port.
- While it is easy to start, it may not always start easily despite pressing the button.
- The battery may not last long.
6. Kohler 20RESCL- Best Standby Generator With Automatic Transfer Switch
Do you have a large house? Kohler 20RESCL-200SELS Air-Cooled Standby Generator with an automatic transfer switch that can not only deal with the greater power requirement but also the numerous appliances that need electrical power. This standby generator Kohler may be the one you are looking for! This type of whole house generators power system is quite powerful and well-built enough to serve a big house. Also, The Kohler has fame as the best air-cooled standby generators on the market.
The Fuel Source: You can use liquid propane or natural gas as the fuel. In fact, you can use both as well. However, each alternative fuel engine will give you different electrical power outputs. Liquid propane will give you the most- 20 kilowatts of output while natural gas will give you 18 kilowatts.
Engine: This Kohler uses the Kohler Heavy Command Pro engine. You can rely on this engine to last a long time. Furthermore, it is caused in a way that you can rely on the case to protect it.
Power Output: The power generation is 20,000 watts.
Transfer Switch: It can support 100 amp RXT ATS with load center and NEMA 1 steel enclosure or 200 amp standard RXT ATS with NEMA 3R aluminum enclosure for the automatic transfer switch.
Start System: Despite you don’t need any professional installation knowledge on it, it will automatically start when the power goes out. You do not have to do anything at all.
Controller: This Kohler 20RESCL quite user-friendly with all its controller features. The LCD display keeps you updated and all other gauges and switches are easy to access and understand.
Safety Features: It is certified by the determinants of generator safety to be very safe.
Portability: The unit is not very portable.
Warranty: It comes with a five-year warranty.
- It a very powerful for larger homes.
- It is well-built with a great case that protects the engine inside.
- You will find it quite easy to set up.
- The controller features make it very user-friendly and easy to understand as well.
- Automatic start system.
- Dual fuel sources can be used.
- It is quiet.
- Very safe to use.
- The cost is quite high when you consider the maintenance cost as well.
7. All Power America- 12000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Do you need power for your sudden camping trips? Also, do you need a backup power generator for your whole house? Then, this All Power America APGG12000GL may be the one you are looking for. The features shall speak for themselves.
The Fuel Type And Source: You can use either propane or gas to run this generator. It will run on both kinds of fuel smoothly.
Engine: The engine generates a good amount of power without losing its cool. You can rely on the build of this engine.
Power Output: You can expect a peak power output of 12,000 watts. Other than that, you will either get 9000 or 9500 running watts depending on the fuel type you use.
Transfer Switch: All power has quite a few outlets to get connected to the transfer switch. It also has a twist-lock outlet to make assembly easier.
Start System: The engine starters with an electric push start system. Both the electric and recoil start of this generator are easy to deal with.
Tank Capacity and Runtime: The tank has a capacity of 8 gallons. You can expect it to run for around eight hours straight.
Controller: It is simple that does not offer the best in case of user-friendliness. However, it is quite easy to understand and get a grasp on. The control panel is quite straightforward.
Safety Features: You will find the required certifications with this that mark is safe. No unfortunate event has occurred with it either.
Portability: It is quite portable mainly due to its lightweight. You will find it very easy to carry.
You will love to read best 10000 watt portable generator
- Though it is portable it can work as a backup power generator for your house.
- Quite easy to assemble and it is very lightweight too.
- The engine is powerful and reliable doing its job the way it should.
- Dual fuel generator system is efficient and you can easily use various types of fuels according to your choice.
- Its capacity is great and it is capable of powering a good amount of power as well.
- It provides good value for the price.
- You can expect it to last.
- Quite safe to use.
- You may find a few small parts not working well. And, you may have to replace these parts to get the best value out of this generator.
8. DuroMax XP13000EH- Best Portable Hybrid Gas Propane Generator
DuroMax seems to know what it is doing and thus ends up satisfying customers more often. The DuroMax XP13000EH is one such powerful generator by DuroMax that is consistent with the power, performance, and ease that is usually amazing at providing. Let’s check out its features to understand more.
The Fuel Source: You can choose from two fuel sources at your convenience. In fact, you can easily switch between gasoline and propane tank.
Engine: This DuroMax is run by a 20HP 500cc DuroMax OHV Engine. The engine has a strong build and it can handle the power load well. Furthermore, the design protects the engine inside quite well.
Power Output: You will feel satisfied with the power. In fact, you get a starting power of 13,000 watts which is a lot. Plus, you get a running power of 10,500 watts. This is enough to run the hungrier electrical appliances in your house.
Transfer Switch: It has 50 amp outlets that work well with the electric line of the house.
Start System: You will just have to push a button to start. It is one of the easiest ways to start and it involves no risk.
Tank capacity: It can hold 8.3 gallons of fuel which will last quite a while.
Controller: As for the control panel, this DuroMax is quite simple to understand and control. You will understand which part does what just by looking at the parts and the marks- without a manual. Furthermore, this saves energy by itself. When it is not in use, it runs on lower RPMs to save energy.
Safety Features: It will automatically shut off if the fuel level is low in it. Apart from that, it ticks other boxes for being safe as well.
Portability: The thick and large wheels on this unit make it quite easily portable. But, it sure is heavy so carrying it won’t be easy.
Don’t forget to read How To Build a Soundproof Generator Box
- It generates a lot of energy.
- The DuroMax service is great it knows how to build great quality generators.
- The unit is quite portable with its wheels.
- You will find it easy to use.
- It is easy to set up with its multiple outlets.
- Starting it is a piece of cake.
- Quite safe to use and it also saves energy.
- Good value for the money.
- The powerful 13,000 EH watt generator may sometimes fail to start as easily as the others.
9. Honda EU2200i– Best Quiet Portable Whole House Generator
If your power requirement is not that great then you do not want to waste money on a very powerful generator, this Honda EU2200i is for you. It does not produce a lot of power but what it produces should be enough. In fact, it is well-known for being lightweight but utility power systems really fuel-efficient. So, you know that nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to waste when you use it.
The Fuel Source: You can use oil as the fuel for this Honda. Apparently, it has the Eco-throttle system which offers you fuel efficiency. So, there won’t be any loss of the fuel you give to this generator.
Engine: The Honda GXR120 engine is easy to maintain and also strong enough to weather your needs.
Power Output: It is capable of producing 2200 watts of power. However, if you need more power, you can buy another one of the same generators and connect them with a supplied cable to get the best of both.
Installation: It comes with the required outlets and cable to make the installation really easy.
Start System: Honda has color-coded buttons on it that help you start it up easily. Therefore, no worries about the startup.
Fuel Tank Capacity and Runtime: The inverter generator technology makes really efficient use of the fuel generator. In fact, you can run for 9.5 hours maximum depending on the power load of your house.
Controller: As the startup button is color-coded, you can expect the rest of the generator to be as easy to use.
Safety Features: Honda has enough ventilation to keep itself cool. It also has other features that make it safe.
Portability: It is lightweight enough to be carried around very easily. However, once you install it as a whole-house generator, it will be hard to remove and transfer to another place.
- It is very efficient when it comes to using the fuel it is supplied with.
- Installing it as a whole-house is quite easy.
- Staring it up and using it with its controller design is easy as well.
- It does not generate a lot of power but it can run most house appliances smoothly.
- Good value for the money.
- Its lightweight nature makes it easy to handle and move.
- The engine is strong and works quite well.
- Once installed it won’t be as portable as you would want it to be.
- Although it is advertised as a really quiet unit, it needs to be quieter
10. WEN 56200i- Best 2000 Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
If you have a small house or not many devices that need power when the power goes out then this Wen 56200i inverter may be what you are looking for. We are talking about really small needs like charging your laptop or running your computer. If you want to run an air conditioner, it will not be for you. However, for what you pay, this inverter generator is enough for smaller needs.
Source of Power: You can power by natural gas. Therefore, you do not have to go through a lot of trouble when you install it. Just connect it to the gas supply line.
Engine: The 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine which this WEN 56200i features works smoothly. Furthermore, it is very quiet. So, you won’t be disturbing anyone when you run this generator.
Power Output: it is capable of producing 2200 watts at its peak and 1600 watts while it’s running. Which, as you can tell, is not much compared to the other generators listed here.
Transfer Switch: It has 120V receptacles, a 12V DC receptacle, and a 5V USB port. This should be enough to make connecting with it easy.
Fuel Tank Capacity and Runtime: With a fuel tank capacity of 1 gallon, it does not run very long when you use powerful appliances with it. However, depending on the load, it can run from 4 to 9 hours.
Safety Features: The automatic shut-off and low fuel indicator features make this generator quite safe to use. Furthermore, it won’t harm sensitive electrical appliances. Apparently, this runs at a very stable voltage making it very safe for the appliances.
Portability: It is very lightweight in nature so you can carry it from one place to another very easily.
- It is quite energy-efficient.
- It helps the environment by producing green energy.
- You won’t be paying too much for your smaller needs.
- The engine is quiet yet runs smoothly.
- It is quite safe to use with its safety features.
- Electrical appliances are safe because they are consistent in their voltage supply.
- Lightweight enough to be easily portable.
- It is not at all powerful so it will run out of energy too soon if you accidentally use heavier electric appliances with it.
Things to Consider Before Buying Home Generators
You are now floating on an ocean and you do not know where to go. Let us find shore for you by telling you about the things you need to think about. This way you may not find the objective best but you surely will find the best whole house generator for yourself. Because, after all, it is subjective.
Power Consumption and Fuel Efficient
Do you want the whole house running on the generator? Or, do you just need some important appliances like the oven, refrigerator, to run? Can you not do without your air conditioner or heater in the weather? This will let you run all the appliances you want it to standby power.
You have to first decide on the appliances you want running when the power goes out. Then, you can decide how powerful you want.
Since you are looking for the best whole-house generators, you will be looking for powers starting from 14 kilowatts to 150 kilowatts.
Type of Generator
You can find two types of generators available- portable and standby generators. We will discuss both in detail later. For now, you should know that portables are less powerful and you can use them outside your house to power up a picnic spot if you want.
Other than that, the portable does not have an automatic switch that senses while power outage and automatically turns on.
Type of Fuel
Generators run on various kinds of fuel. You have to choose the type of fuel based on additional costs like availability, safety, and regular fuel costs. In fact, you may not want to carry out any maintenance tasks which some kinds of fuel required. We will tell you about the various kinds of fuel sources in detail. Moreover, your choosing home generators should fuel-efficient too.
Look at here Best Oil For Generator 2021
Size of Generators
It should not be so big that you cannot fit in the place you want to keep it. However, it should be big enough to power your house as per requirement. So, you have to find the right balance between a generator that is small enough to fit yet powerful enough to power your whole house. Regarding these fuel consumption levels on whole house generators also required while you consider buying.
Installation and Backup Power
You do not want the generator to be too much of a hassle when you are installing it. The hassle is alright too as long as you know that the installation process it requires is supported by the place where you want to install it. Furthermore, it should support the local rules as well.
Noise and Emission
Now, especially the traditional ones make a lot of noise when they are starting, some throughout their operation. You do not want the noise level to be so high that it becomes disturbing. Therefore, it is best if you check the noise it will create in decibels.
The problem with electricity generation is that it can get unsafe. That’s why you should check the generator for safety features. For example, it should shut off automatically when it overheats. If it is low on fuel, it should notify and shut off automatically.
This will ensure that you do not have to experience the bad side of technology.
Length of Service- Durability
When you buy one, you spend a lot. Therefore, you buy hoping that you won’t have to buy again or at least not soon. That’s why you should consider how long your generator can serve you. You will usually find it labeled in days or hours.
Now, that does not mean that it will only last for days. Remember that you won’t be experiencing blackouts that often. It all depends on how often you experience them and what you need.
Differences between Portable and Standby Generators
Can you use portable generators for powering your whole house? The answer is subjective but if it meets the power requirement of your whole house, yes you can use it.
However, a portable generator cannot really generate a lot of power, it usually peaks at 14 kilowatts. On the other hand, the best standby generators generate power of up to 150 kilowatts. As a result, portable can only power a few appliances that you select. But, a home standby generator can power up the whole house if you select one with enough power.
Then, there is an automatic switch that you have to consider. With portable generators, you have to go to them and turn them on manually when the power goes out. But, an air-cooled standby generator has a switch that senses a power outage and turns itself on after a few minutes.
The main advantage of a portable is, no surprise, its portability. If you do not experience a lot of power outages but visit places that have no power then you can take the portable one with you to power the place up.
You do not have to install a portable generator but you will have to go through a tough installation process for a standby generator.
Even the fuel source for standby generators is quite permanent- natural gas or liquid propane gas. On the other hand, you can power portable with gasoline or propane easily.
Which One Best? – Portable or Home Standby Generators!
Now, this is where you have to consider your needs. Do you want the flexibility of carrying the generator around? The answer to this question itself may help you find the best whole house generator for your house based on the type of it. Then you need a portable one!
If you want a lot of power, which in this case you do, a standby can light up your whole house. Furthermore, do you want to go down in the dark to turn the generator on? Then, the portable will make you.
If you want to get everything except portability, the standby gives it to you. The only thing it cannot give you is portability. So, it all comes down to the question- do you need the portability?
Which Portable Generator are the Best Whole House Generators?
Since portable will not automatically turn on when the power goes out, you have to rely on other features to make it the best. Apparently, a portable one that has enough power to power your whole house may be the best portable generator for home use. Or, at least, it should have enough power to make the necessary appliances work.
Can a portable be the best whole house generator for you? Absolutely. As long as it fulfills your power needs and works well, there is no reason it cannot be.
Which Size of Generator is the Best for Whole Home?
Yes, the size matters. Portable generators are lightweight and small by nature. So, the greater power the generator supplies, the greater the supply will be,
This is because the generator must have enough space to hold the fuel as well, you know? Therefore, you just have to find a generator that fits in the space you plan to keep and has enough capacity for your whole house. It should last long enough as well.
How to Calculate What Size of Generator You Need?
In order to calculate the size you need, first, you have to calculate your own needs. You have to measure how much electricity in amperes, the electrical appliances you plan to power need.
The total has to be divided by three for three-phase current and two for single-phase current. Then, multiply the result by 1000 for finding the kilowatt requirement.
Along with this capacity you need to add a safety capacity that needs the generator to be more powerful than your requirements.
So, these will be the kilowatts you require from it.
You can also calculate your requirement by the square foot. Per square foot usually requires 50-kilowatts Plus 10 watts per square foot.
How much should you Spend on a Home Generator?
Based on your needs, the price can range from 2500 to 10,000 dollars. If you live in a building, you and your neighbors can chip in money to buy one that you all will benefit from. If it’s just your own house, you should be able to buy one within 5000 dollars.
How to Install a Whole-House Generator?
Installation of a whole house generator is a critical and tough task. There are a few safety concerns as well since you have to deal with electrical lines and gas lines too.
The first thing you have to do is connect the sub-panel with the automatic switch with the house’s main electric circuit breaker panel. You have to connect the main panel to the sub-panel so that the automatic switch can sense while power outages and brings the generator to live.
Then, you have to place it on a concrete surface. Now, it is time for you to make a path for the fuel source to reach the generator. You can dig a trench to connect it to a gas meter. Then, you have to connect the gas pipe to the gas meter as well.
Finally, you have to connect the generator wires to the appliances you want them to power. So, you see, there are mainly three connection points when you are installing it.
Understanding- Whole House Generator Fuel Types
You can choose from multiple fuel options based on what is available, affordable, and easy to maintain. So, let’s check out your options.
Diesel Fuel: If you want a fuel that can supply you with lots of power in an efficient way then diesel is the choice. A little goes a long way and you do not have to do anything to maintain it either. However, the initial setup may take up some energy. It is a cost-efficient choice.
Natural Gas: If you already have a natural gas supply at your home then natural gas as a fuel will be a great choice. It will be easy to connect your generator to the source. Furthermore, it is very cost-efficient.
Liquid Propane Fuel: This is a similar choice to diesel but this fuel is more long-lasting and maintenance-free than diesel. You need to store it just like you would have to store diesel. In this case, what you have to consider is the availability of fuel in your region. If it is more available than diesel then you can choose it.
Mixed Fuel: If you think that you will not get a constant supply of one kind of fuel then you can keep a mixed fuel option. However, it will require more installation difficulty from you. Also, it can be a bit extravagant and redundant in nature unless you really need it.
Generator Installation and Safety Tips
Here are some tips to keep it all safe for you.
- Install it in a well-ventilated place. You do not want the harmful fuel or gases to accumulate in a tight space.
- Store the fuel away from it. That will heat up when working and this could pose fire hazards. So, to prevent the condition from worsening, keep the fuel at a good distance from the generator.
- Do not keep the fuel indoors. Even if you are storing fuel, do not keep it indoors. You do not want a random fire in the house to escalate with the fuel accidentally coming in contact with the fire.
- Do not put in fuel when it is running. Always turn it off when you are refueling it.
- When you work with the electric lines, make sure that the main electric switch is off. You do not want to die the painful death of being electrocuted.
- Know your local laws. Some laws are set to protect you from the worst, you do not want to exceed the local capacity and put everyone at harm. So, follow the local rules.
- Use gloves when you touch it. The generator can get quite hot when working. Therefore, much like you would deal with a hot pan, use gloves or other protective gear when you touch it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What should I look for in Home Backup Generator?
Answer: The main things to look for a home backup generator is- ease of installation, the power supplied, durability, maintenance requirements. Also, keep an eye out for safety features.
What is the average cost to have a whole house generator installed?
Answer: On average, it will require around 500 to 3000 dollars to be installed. This includes the cost of the unit itself.
Do you need a permit to install a whole-house generator?
Answer: Yes, you do need a permit. However, it is not you who can apply for it. The contractor who will be installing your generator will apply for it. Apparently, you mainly need it for connecting to the power sources like the natural gas pipeline.
How big of a generator do I need to run my whole house?
Answer: The size depends on the power you require from it. The great your power requirements, the size of your house, the greater will be the size of the generator.
Installing a generator in your house is not as easy as it seems. In fact, installing it seems so permanent that if you install a faulty or wrong unit, you will suffer tremendously. Not only will you have to work harder but you will have to pay more as well.
This is why it is essential that when you choose, you choose right and carefully. Then, you will find the best whole house generator for yourself.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, Check our Affiliate Disclaimer page.